5/07/2014

Has Normcore Completely Taken Over?

I'm just going to come out and say it: the Met Gala this year was a total yawn-fest. While I browsed through the galleries of curated "best and worst" dressed lists, I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed to the point where I had to stop and ask myself, "Why does every outfit suck this year?" 

From Rihanna's Bride of Frankenstein frock to SJP's marshmallow flop,
I'd say the gowns at this year's Met Gala were a fail.
Usually, red carpet outfits at the Met Gala have me drooling in awe. Even dresses that are God awful generally have me giddy with excitement to critique them. But this year failed to deliver much of anything. Not more than 1 dress managed to get me excited, which got me thinking about fashion in general as of late. With prevailing off-duty street style and popular monochromatic basics, I wonder: have we been blinded by the normcore expectation?

Simplicity comes in many forms, like a t-shirt half-tucked into high waisted cut offs and a pair of Birkenstocks, or an all white ensemble topped with Saint Laurent sneakers. And to be honest, I feel like normcore has caused true avant-garde fashion to go on a vacation for the past 4 months.

But if we don't have high fashion, what do we have?

Each year, I look forward to that spark of imagination after viewing the gowns of the Met Gala. But 2014 will go down as the year of simplicity...and that isn't a good thing.

Even those who took "risks" at this year's Met Gala were underwhelming. I feel like I've seen these dresses a dozen times, so needless to say, I'm bored. Wow, that's a great ruffle. Real innovative. Ugh.

Lupita Nyong'o was the only one who wore a dress worth talking about. The refreshing details on her beaded slip was so much better than seeing just another monochromatic silk gown.

I believe a fashion revolution is in order. It's time to fade out this normcore trend before it seeps any deeper into the cracks of the fashion world - for all our sakes.

What about you? Do you agree that the normcore apocalypse has happened and we're all just living in it?

xo, Cee

No comments:

Post a Comment